I have been working on healing my gut for some time now to get my hormones back in balance - Gut health is usually the first issue that needs to be addressed when it comes to treating hormone imbalance!! There has been a remarkable improvement in my gut health since including Collagen and L-glutamine in my diet.
Collagen gives our skin strength and elasticity, along with replacing dead skin cells. Collagen is found in the gut's connective tissue so including this supplement can help support and protect your gut lining. This is fantastic if you suffer from Leaky Gut as with leaky gut, food particles pass through the gut lining into the bloodstream due to inflammation. You can add collagen to your diet via bone broth, powdered gelatin or collagen peptides. I chose hydrolised collagen peptides as this means the amino acids have been broken down, making them more easily digested and absorbed by the body.
L-glutamine is an amino acid that is a building block of protein and can also help to strengthen the gut lining and heal IBS. Tissues and cells in the intestine use this amino acid as a fuel source to function optimally. L-glutamine is already produced in the body but levels may be low if you don't eat animal products or include enough legumes in your diet.
Collagen peptides aren't the best taste I have ever experienced, I actually pull a face when I drink it, so I've found some sneaky ways to include it in my diet. If you are Vegan you can omit this ingredient from the recipe.
3 tablespoons extra virign olive oil (I used Crede Oils)
1 fennel bulb, leaves and stalks removed, then thinly sliced
1/2 white onion
4 cups shredded cabbage, cored and thinly shredded
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs Pea protein (optional)
2 1/2 to 3 cups yeast-free vegetable stock (I used Health Connection's)
2 tablespoons collagen peptides (I used at Mojo Me Collagen Peptides)
Spices of your choice
Handful raw almonds
1. In a large pot, add 2 Tbs Olive Oil, fennel and onion and stir on medium heat until veggies are lightly softened
2. Add half of cabbage and salt, stirring and cooking for two minutes to wilt slightly, then add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and cabbage.
3. Continue stirring occasionally and cooking over medium heat for 10 minutes. You should see light browning on the vegetables.
4. Then add spices of your choice, pea protein and 2½ cups stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, on medium-low heat.
5.Take off heat and gently transfer half of it to a high-powered blender. Add collagen and blend. Then add the other half and blend until smooth. Add more stock or salt for the texture you like.
6. To serve, spoon into bowls and drizzle some olive oil and a handful of chopped raw almonds to garnish
Recipe inspired by Heartbeet Kitchen
Feed the Mind. Nourish the body. Connect to the Soul